The reduction has been achieved since the privatisation of Air India in an ongoing effort led by a team of in-house experts and supported by catering partners and multiple vendors, with the aim of continually minimising the carrier’s environmental impact.
Air India’s effort in the direction includes several initiatives as listed below.
- 100% removal of 500ml plastic water bottles from all Economy Class seat pockets on widebody aircraft operating international flights
- Significant reduction in the bulk uplift of 200ml water bottles on international as well as domestic flights; now only served on pre-set meal trays
- Introduction of water pour service from 1 litre water bottles during flight
- Replacement of plastic zip lock bags for cutlery with paper packaging
- Replacement of plastic straws with paper straws
- Replacement of plastic stirrers with wooden ones
- Introduction of reusable linen bags on board
- Introduction of 100% compostable PET lids and primary-use plastic bags
- Introduction of 100% compostable waste bags
The airline is working towards introducing paper cutlery for Economy Class guests soon, apart from pursuing multiple other opportunities that would further reduce the usage of single-use plastic.
Air India continues to integrate environmental and social principles in its businesses in its goal of becoming one of the world’s most environmentally sensitive organisations.
About Air India:
Founded by the legendary JRD Tata, Air India pioneered India’s aviation sector. Since its first flight on October 15, 1932, Air India has an extensive domestic network and has spread its wings beyond to become a major international airline with a network across USA, Canada, UK, Europe, Far-East, South-East Asia, Australia and the Gulf. Air India is a member of Star Alliance, the largest global airline consortium. After 69 years as a Government-owned enterprise, Air India and Air India Express were welcomed back into the Tata group in January 2022. The present management at Air India is driving the five year transformation roadmap under the aegis of Vihaan.AI to establish itself as a world-class global airline with an Indian heart.
Vihaan.AI is Air India’s transformational roadmap over five years with clear milestones. It will be focussing on dramatically growing both its network and fleet, developing a completely revamped customer proposition, improving reliability and on-time performance. The airline will also be taking a leadership position in technology, sustainability, and innovation, while aggressively investing in the best industry talent. Vihaan.AI is aimed at putting Air India on a path to sustained growth, profitability and market leadership.
Follow BOTT on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter & Instagram
Subscribe BOTT Channels on WhatsApp & Telegram to receive real time updates